Modeled after the Mighty Mouth Kids program developed by Dr. Steven Kurtz, this summer, the Sutcliffe Clinic is running an intensive group treatment for 4-8 year olds with selective mutism. Camp is meant to replicate the school setting as much as possible in an analog school model. Inside the school setting and in the community, the children are supported while they practice verbalizations with unfamiliar adults and peers. There is a 1:1 counselor to camper ratio to ensure that the clinical needs of each individual are met.
The primary goal for all the children is to generalize talking to as many people, places, and activities during the week. However, individual goals are developed prior to camp and adapted each day, throughout the day, to meet the needs of each camper.
What else is included in the program?
- 5 hours of parent training focusing on how to continue to support your child’s goals after camp
- Follow up call with your clinician to discuss and plan for next steps
- Daily written feedback to parents that includes your child’s highlights of the day and goals for tomorrow
- Off-site field trips to practice community exposures
When and Where?
- 5-day intensive program running from Saturday, July 27th to Wednesday, July 31st
- 9am-2pm each day
- Lead-in sessions to prepare your child for camp will be scheduled the week before and individualized for each family
- Camp will take place in a school near Palo Alto, CA; Location TBD
If you are interested or would like more information, please email Hedva@Sutcliffedbp.com to register.